Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Decision For The Ketogenic Diet

I had read briefly the info on the ketogenic diet and had also asked the epileptologist about it. She didn't really seem all that for it because of Evan only being two. What she wanted us to do was really consider the VNS (vagus nerve stimulator). It is considered a "pacemaker for the brain" and requires non-invasive surgery. During one of our hospital stays, she sent us home wilth a ton of info on it. I really was not "feeling" this. After all, the fact that Evan has no known cause for his epilepsy, he has a good chance of out growing it. The question in my head was "do i really want to put my baby through surgery?" and the answer i kept coming to was "NO".

One day, while I was browsing through Facebook, I came across a friend's post. It was video of her collegue speaking about the ketogenic diet and how it had cured her son of seizures. This woman's name was Debbie Snyder. She wrote the book "KETO KID". Her son went on the diet at 4 years of age and stopped having seizures 3 weeks into the diet. He was on the diet for 2 years, one year of which he was on meds and the other with none. He is now 11 years old and still seizure free and a "normal" boy.

My friend got me in touch with Deb and we talked. She sent me her book and my husband and I were convinced that this is definetly worth a shot!!! I contacted his epileptologist and told her we want to give this a try. I was told to buy the book "Ketogenic Diet" written by Dr. John Freeman. I did weeks and weeks of research. I swear I was consumed by learning as much as I could about this diet because I wanted to be educated and prepared! After reading all the success stories on Charlie Foundation website, I had no doubt at all that we were doing the right thing for our little one!

No comments:

Post a Comment