Saturday, October 23, 2010

Changing the Ratio

So I had a bit of a scare with Evan's ketones yesterday. They dropped all the way down to a 2.9!!!! 2.9??? with no explaination as to why. Everyone who was with him had said he did not get a hold of anything he wasn't suppose to, so the reason for the drop is just unknown and it bothers me!!!

I decided to skip his lunch yesterday with the suggestion from Deb Snyder (the auther of the book keto kid..thank God for him bringing her into my life because she was the first to get back to me with what I should do..Evan's keto team took longer to get back to me..ughhhh). The skipping of his meal was a bit stressful as I had to listen to him cry that he was "hung-a-ree" but I just kept trying to keep him busy until it was time for him to go down for a nap. While he was napping, the nurse got back to me and his nuero decided to up his ratio from a 3.5:1 to a 4:1..hopefully we can get him into a stronger ketosis. He did have 2 seizures this week, one on sunday morning and again on thursday. He does better in the 5s and 6s and he has been in the 4s mostly other than when he dropped drastically yesterday.

On a seperate note, I have been reaching out more to the other mothers on the keto group and even started adding some of them to facebook. I have been on a kick to help raise awareness of epilepsy. People seriously do not understand how much of an impact this disability has on a whole family PLUS what it does to the individual that has it. Epilepsy has turned our whole world upside down and it has also been a roller coaster of emotions. I am fighting for Evan 100% and I am determined to get him to be seizure free. I know we can get there. We have already had periods of up to 3-4 weeks of seeing no seizures and I am praying to get back to that.

Evan is so bright and I know a lot of his frustrations and behaviors stem from him not exactly being able to verbalize everything. He is getting there slowly, but still needs improvement and help to get there along the way. Still waiting for the scheduling department to call me to get him started on speech therapy. I think I am just going to call them on Monday to see what is going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment